Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I Know


I Know

When we were young, you made everything seem easy.
Your hollow truths and empty promises
Could mend my broken heart and make my dreams come true.

You told me I could do anything –
That I could take my life in my hands.
But you knew I would do anything
To save your life instead.
So you knew you could do anything to me.

And the tangible lies
Through your Jezebel eyes
Screamed realities truer than sin.
And your well meaning words
Never sounded so absurd
When I took my fate in my hands.

Now I’ve poured blood, sweat, and tears
Over hours and years
For no more than a castle of cards,
And no mountain of words
From the meaningless herds
Can soften my well-seasoned heart.

I know they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions,
But I’ve walked that road far enough to know that I paved it with compromise.
Now the calloused fingers on these Midas hands
Cannot lay the best plans of mice and men.

I’ve poured blood, sweat, and tears
For so many years
For dreams that have fallen apart.
Only mountains of words
From your meaningless verse
Can comfort my well-treasoned heart.

Now you tell me I can do anything –
That I can take my life in my hands.
But still you know I will do anything
To save your life instead.
So you know you can do anything…
You know you can do anything…
I know you can do anything to me.

1 comment: